1.18.2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Review

*Spoilers*

It definitely arrived as one of the most anticipated films of the year. Fight Club's David Fincher and his already known pal Brad Pitt join forces with Cate Blanchett into one of the biggest productions of the last years. Sadly to say, it's not one of the best productions of the past years. Is it great? Yes it is, but it's still far from being the best of the year. I must sadly admit I'm still missing 10 or 15 "quality" or expected productions, including the critics' darling, Slumdog Millinaire. Even now, Button fails to receive a mention as one of the 5 year's best. 

The story begins in a hospital during the year 2005, we're in New Orleans just when hurricane "Katrina" is about to hit. From there, Blanchett as Daisy in her deathbed begins to unfold the story of the main character, Benjamin Button. From there we our hero evolve from being a baby looking as an old man in his 80s, all the way to his ultimate day as a newborn baby. During his lifetime Benjamin will become a sailor, fall in love, fight at the World War II, have a child and travel around the world. 

Sincerely, I dunno if I was watching several films at once or I just completely missed the point.  The film tries to explain in a very unique way the value of each stage in life, from old age to youth. However, Fincher's film is such a mess that it just counters itself. Though I loved Benjamin's adoptive mother, Queenie and Daisy definitely steals the show, I must admit I didn't care once for any character. Fincher's major problem is that while he tries to get us involved into the story, he also tries to add other elements that simply don't go along with the story. How can we possibly cry at Queenie's death when we have just laughed at a dirty joke or been through a war fight? It's hard to concentrate in the story as once, and Fincher just misses it's chance. A "rollercoaster of emotions" would probably be the best way to describe the film. 

This will probably be among the Oscar's Best Picture lineup of the year, but if I could, I would argue against it. It's production achievements are phenomenal. I was amazed more than once at the way the makeup and the effects worked during the film. Should the film be recognized in the production categories, I won't complain but only agree.  It runs way too long, and I blame the editing and the direction for it, not the screenplay. Actually, I found the screenplay to be one of the best aspect's of the entire film. 

Meanwhile, in the acting department it's Taraji P. Henson as Queenie and Cate Blanchett as Daisy the performers who save the film from being a total disaster. If it hadn't been for them, I would have fallen asleep after the first 30 minutes. Actually, when Brad Pitt goes alone to his journey, the film starts to fall apart, slow and boring. However Blanchett reappaers as Daisy just in time to save the film. Honestly, it's during the final hour where Daisy's role becomes more significant that the film becomes gripping and interesting. Sadly, it's too late. 

It's not surprising to see Blanchett hand in her homework with an A+, as she always does. And although the film has it's own supporting player marvels, the sole lead of the film, Brad Pitt, fails in every sense of the word as the leading man of such production. Mr. Pitt does absolutely nothing with the character the way Blanchett did, to me it seemed as he just allowed the makeup to speak and act for him. He has some brilliant scenes I must admit (mostly his older years, his first walking steps for example) but then, during most of the film Pitt does nothing but stand there. A suggestion for Mr. Fincher, next time get an actor with a strong screen presence that can carry the weight of such a inmense film and not a good friend of yours in the leading role. 

However, it is not Blanchett the true star of the film, but the sensible and deeply touching Taraji P. Henson. If I ever cared for anyone in the film, it was her. Sadly, I don't see it in their future, but an Actress nomination for Blanchett and a Supporting Actress nomination for Henson at the Oscars would be more than deserved. 

It'll probably remain in my Top 15 of the year, but if it doesn't, don't be surprised. Other than some Art Direction, Costume Design, Visual Effects, Cinematography, Score (now this was great) and the Makeup (even more amazing) recognition, sorry but I'll complain if this receives the top honors this year for Directing or as a film. Very good film, but come on....we all know Fincher was capable of doing it, they had a masterpice in their hands and they let it go. *sigh* 

RATING: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. I respectfully disagree with your opinion about this wonderful movie. I was right next to you when we were watching and I loved every aspect of it, I really can't explain why... maybe personal history or something like that... but anyways, maybe Fincher could have made a better movie, or maybe not... but I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said I still liked very much, but it definitely disappointed me and I wasn't able to appreciate as a masterpiece the way I wanted to. 8 is still a pretty good grade.

    ReplyDelete