6.11.2009

First Predictions of the Year: Best Picture

Ok, I'll be quick with these ones, and I won't do Director or the Screenplays now, there isn't much by doing that.
last year: Changeling, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Doubt, Frost/Nixon and Revolutionary Road. 
Fairly good, considering 2 of these made the cut, 1 was a strong bet and the other one had a chance. I never had much faith in Milk, and when reviews came out for F/N I took it out. The closest I was, October predix: Benjamin Button, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Slumdog Millionaire, WALL*E. I've learned a few tips, so hopefully this year I do better.

and the nominees are...

An Education
Who? Lone Scherfig, Carey Mulligan, Peter Saarsgard, Alfred Molina
Why? Honestly, I want to predict Saarsgard, I'm almost sure he's going to be brilliant, but I preferred to wait to see his final category placement. If anything, I think this may be in for a sole Picture slot while its director missed the cut. Why? It looks like an actors piece. Academy likes actors pieces, but unless it's also a great movie alone. Reason why Doubt failed to score in the end.

Bright Star
Who? Oscar winner Jane Campion, Abbie Cornish, Ben Whishaw, Paul Schider 
Why? Rumor has it, it's Campion's back to shape piece. If they mean it, Campion's back to shape is definitely something to watch out for. It's also a period drama with newbies in the leading roles. I think it's pretty safe for now.

Invictus
Who? Oscar winners Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon.
Why? The Academy has lately loved to kiss Clint's ass, except last year, Eastwood movies have been big players in the ceremony since 03. It's also a biopic? The Academy won't resist, this is probably in.

Nine
Who? Rob Marshall (dir), The Weinsteins (prod), Kate Hudson, Fergie and Oscar winners Sophia Loren, Daniel Day-Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Marion Cotillard.
Why? I'm all in for this to sweep the whole awards, and Marshall to take the Oscar they wrongfully denied him back in 02. With these cast it's bound to be in immediate consideration. Marshall isn't exactly a director we'd call Oscar favorite, but he even scored with critically accepted (not acclaimed) Memoirs of a Geisha. Maybe Marshall is just great with musicals, not dramas. If he adds the spice he added to the original Chicago, and this turns out as good, this is in.

Precious
Who? Gabourey Sibide, Mo'Nique, Lee Daniels (dir), Mariah Carey...wait..who?
Why? I refuse to believe this will make the big cut (and I also refuse to think it'll be as good as buzz is telling it to be). But this has already become an independet phenomenom among critics. Aparrently pumped by great lead performances by all the cast (yes, including Carey). I'm just not sure. Doesn't seem to me the Academy will bite. Maybe when those films we aren't expecting anything great now surprise us later in the year we can forget about this. Let's wait and see.

just in case, my 6th close option was...The Lovely Bones
It's probably my second most anticipated for the whole year. The cast looks great, and if I've learned anything in the past is that Jackson is absolutely brilliant when it comes to adapting books. I'm doubting it because of the fantasy elements I'm not exactly sure the Academy will bite.

Other interesting projects to watch out for (not neccessarily for awards, just interesting projects that will come out this year):
1939 (ok....I have no idea what this is about but we always welcome new things!)
(500) Days of Summer (looks like a nice indie flick with nice performances)
A Serious Man (Coens?? I'm in)
Abrazos Rotos, Los (Almodóvar + Cruz = great)
Amelia (An interesting idea I may regret later to not predicted it for big thigs)
Antichrist (only for Von Triers fans, yeah um, not me)
Avatar (James Cameron is back??? AND with a sci-fi? Yummmmyyy)
Away We Go (so far I've liked all of Sam Mendes' films, and loved some, I really want to see this)
Biutiful (Iñarritu is quite the director, let's see...it has Bardem in the leading role)
Boat that Rocked, The (From the director of "Love Actually", and he's back with another star cast) 
Cheri (looks good, but nothing more than a couple of acting nods + sets and costumes)
Coco Avant Chanel (Audrey Tautou as Coco? That has to be good) 
Green Zone (Paul Grengrass and Matt Damon team up again, we have to check it out)
Inglorious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino....)
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, The (honestly? I think with this one we should wait and see)
Informant, The (Soderbergh has proven to be hit or miss, hopefully this is a hit)
Last Station, The (I have no idea why, but I think this may surprise everyone, the other acting showcase I'm really looking forward too, oh and #7 in my Picture predictions)
Moon (Nina should know what I'm talking about)
Public Enemies (meh....to me it looks like only a summer action flick, a great one though)
Shutter Island (not Oscar baity, but damn it looks great)
Road, The (somehow it passed from a contender for last year's Oscars to a good movie from this year, I still think it looks good)
Taking Woodstock (Ang Lee always has intersting things to give)
Up (Pixar has been lately released always one of the top 5 reviewed movies of the year, they were close with WALL*E, they're bound to get more than just Original Screenplay or Animated Feature sonner or later)
Whatever Works (Woody Allen? default "gotta see" movie)
Where the Wild Things Are (we've missed Spike Jonze, doesn't look like it'll garner awards, but he's proven quite the capable director so far)
White Ribbon, The (Cannes winner are always something great to see)
Wolf Man, The (not baity like at all...but after that juicy trailer, it looks like it may be the finest action movie of the year)

Anything else?

1 comment: