5.24.2009

First Oscar predictions of the year: Best Supporting Actress

Waaaaaayyyy to early? Probably, but it's fun, and even though I know they're going to be wrong (hey! I did guess 7 1/2 acting nominees for 08 in April: Jenkins, Streep, Davis, Adams, Henson, Pitt, Penn and Winslet but for the wrong movie) they're fun, and they're still somewhat an indication of what we're all highly anticipating for the year. After all, most great movies won't start cmoing out until August. 
I'll do my predictions for the big 8 categories + Animated Film. Who the hell knows what is going to be nominated for Best Costume Design this time of the year?
So, here you go, the first batch: supporting actress (with a beautiful collage made in Photoshop made by me).

and the nominees are...

Kathy Bates as Madame Peloux in Cheri
Based solely on the trailer: I was expecting a roccking Pfeiffer performance hoping that it'd be good enough to get her awards attention, but to my surprise, I felt intrigued by another performance, this one. Bates is more than experienced when it comes to the type of over the top women, and in the trailer she was just that. Witty, imponent, loud, risky, etc. It went right to the top of my head, "I think Pfeiffer won't be the one getting accolades for this movie". A 4th nom in the way for Mrs. Bates?
Judi Dench as Liliane La Fleur in Nine
Well, she's La Dench, so that helps, she's got one of the flashiest roles of the musical (and one of the flashiest she's gotten in some time). Chita Rivera got raving reviews for her portrayal in the revival a couple of years ago. If Dench delivers, I'll say she could even be a threat for the win. Plus...she's funny and she sings.
Stacey "Fergie" Ferguson as Saraghina in Nine
Risky choice, I'm one of the few who actually has her as a possibility. No, it's not because I'm a die hard fan of Fergie and want desperately to see her get a nod, but the trailer confirmed what I thought, Marshall may have exploded to the limit her potential, which, for all we know is big. He did make Queen Latifah deliver a great performance back in 02, didn't he? Besides, she plays a porstitute (Academy loves them) and she has one of the best songs in the whole play, which may be enough for her nod.  
Mo'Nique as Mary in Precious: Based on the Novel by Sapphire
Well, sincerely, I'm not that excited for the movie or her performance, but if early word is true, she probably was our earliest contender with actual buzz from people who've seen it. I'm not sure how the Academy will embrace her, but for now, she's my second safest bet, after Dench.
Meryl Streep as Julia Child in Julie & Julia
First of all, she's Streep, she's ALWAYS a contender. But this one's very risky, only because apparently, she can go supporting or leading. Based on the trailer, the role, the director and the genre, I'll say she's probably taking the supporting route. Besides, I think Streep is only getting in if she goes this way, something tells me if she decides to go lead she'll be ignored.

just in case, my 6th close option was...Penelope Cruz as Carla Albanese in Nine
I wanted to include her so much, after all, it's also an extremely juicy role that normally gets acclaim (a couple of years ago, it won Jane Krakowski a Tony). Why is she out? Basically, because as much as I'd like to, I doubt THREE Nine ladies will make the cut. It's not impossible, but it's not easy either. Besides, having an Almodovar project (though she's lead in there) may split the vote a little. And finally, being a recent winner may be enough for some to want to spread the wealth. 

If you ask me, I'm super thrilled about the all the Nine ladies, and though I don't think she'll get a nod, I'm dying to see Sophia Loren back in action (who isn't?). Like I said, I included Bates because I'm also excited to see her (now, even more than Pfeiifer -or anyone in the movie actually-). As a devoted Streep fan, of course I want to see the movie and her performance, even as a summer flick. 
I was also going to include Patricia Clarkson or Evan Rachel Wood for the new Woody Allen, Whatever Works. Allen is a strong contributor to the supporting actress nominees and winners always. I just wasn't sure which one to pick, both are next on my list. Also, an Allen girl just won, so I'm not sure if they'll be so anxious to award another one of her chicks just yet. (Sorvino and Weist won back to back in 94 and 95 though). I'll have to think it through. Thoughts? Your own predictions, or even performances you're excited to see?

1 comment: