1.10.2010

2009...and the beginning of a whole new decade

So, can you believe it? 2009 flew by and not only that, the whole decade is over. The first decade of a new millenium/century. I still remember (well, kinda) when it all began in 2000. The crisis revolving around the fear that the world was gonna end and all that. To be honest I was too young to remember that, but I do remember the whole fuzz made about the "millenium" deal. Either way, it's 10 years full of fantastic films. And with fantastic films come fantastic directing achievements, writing, technical accomplishements and obviously...performances. I'm gonna try to do those as short as I can, and I think it could help you get a little glimpse more related to my taste.
That's not all that's coming, yeah, I've just finished the Star Awards 2008 and I already want to begin with the ones related to 2009. That way I can rapidly get back on track. Man, I'm still missing so many films from 2009 I want to see before starting the awards (most notably critical darlings Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker) but I've already seen over 50, and I have some favorites that I doubt are gonna be replaced or pushed down in the list. Most likely I'll be 95% done by February with a little over 70 films seen from the year.

But wait, that's not all! We have Awards Season upon us, you know me, I looooove awards season. It's entertaining as hell, even if we all know they're far from actually rewarding "the best". 30% is quality and the rest has to do with your campaign, your personality, your career, your 'name', the buzz and momentum, etc. But, there're always those rare cases where it seems quality trumps all. This year we might have one with comedy girl Mo'Nique (yes the one from Phat Girls) coming from nowhere to take the awards by storm. We also have a few films that seem to be getting recognition mostly on their own achievement, and as always, the works and projects that were sadly forgotten.

But what about you? What films so far have been your favorites? Your favorite movies from the whole decade? Actors that stood out these past yen years? Directors? Oh! Have you heard about the little film called Avatar, Cameron's baby which is already the second highest grossing film of all-time. Or have you seen Wes Anderson's animated gem Fantastic Mr. Fox? Or what about suggestions, little movies you liked I could have completely forgotten about or not heard of? Yeah it's quite possible, I'm only human.

For the year what have I seen that I liked or didn't like, check them out and make your own opinion!
  • (500) Days of Summer: This little gem is a wonderful tale about love. (yes about love, not a love story)
  • Avatar: An exciting, thrilling and completely involving adventure. No one (absolutely no one) makes them like James Cameron.
  • An Education: A small critical darling that teaches about life and its values. With an outstading cast, especially Oscar favorite Carey Mulligan.
  • Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire: A heartreaking and hurtful story about fighting through life. First film in a couple years to almost snag a tear from me.
  • A Serious Man: One of the Coens finest. All the answers lay in this "simple" story about religion.
  • Up: It's Pixar. Done deal.
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox: It trully is fantastic! Hilarious and touching.
  • In the Loop: An absolutely hilarious comedy/parody about politics and the very contemporary thinking regarding war in Britain and the U.S. Outstanding cast.
  • Away We Go: Sam Mendes goes indie with this travel tale about finding one's place. Leading are the always pleasure to watch John Krasinski (The Office U.S.) and Maya Rudolph.
  • Inglourious Basterds: Quentin Tarantino's critical and audience favorite with an outstanding cast where the Jews are the hunters and the Nazis the hunted.
  • Sin Nombre: A ravishing piece from Mexican film making about inmigration.
  • Coraline: Another great animated film! This comes from the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas and might I say so, even better.
  • Moon: Duncan Jones' astonishing directing debut lead by a one man show from Sam Rockwell.
  • Adam: A cute little story about love, between any person and how it can easily be found and how fragile it is.
  • Julia: Tilda Swinton's jaw dropping one woman show about an alcoholic woman who kidnaps in order to "rearrange" her life.
  • District 9: Peter Jackson's protegeè's debut in which for once the aliens seem weak against the human technology and cruelness.
Those are a few titles that came to mind which I saw recently. Some I liked, other not so much. Coming soon are my Golden Globe and SAG winner predictions along my Oscar predictions + my first "Best of the Decade List", starting with the supporting actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment